7 Things to Know About Trump’s TikTok Pause

5Mind. The Meme Platform
The Epoch Times Header

Trump has signed an order to halt enforcement for 75 days.

President Donald Trump has prompted TikTok to restore service for its users despite a divest-or-ban law from Congress but questions remain as to whether the executive order will withstand judicial scrutiny or allow tech companies to avoid liability.

Here is a breakdown of the law, Trump’s order, and surrounding legal issues.

1. What Is the TikTok Ban-or-Divest Law?

Congress passed the Protecting Americans from Foreign Adversary Controlled Applications Act last year with bipartisan support amid concerns about national security and data privacy concerns due to TikTok’s ties to the Chinese communist regime.

The Chinese-owned app, like all other firms in China, is required by law to hand over data to regime authorities upon request.

President Joe Biden signed the bill into law in April 2024. It could apply to other platforms but specifically mentions TikTok and its parent company, ByteDance, in the text.

Because of the law, ByteDance was required to either shut down the app in the United States or sell it to a different company within 270 days after its enactment—by Jan. 19, 2025. That deadline was just before Trump took office on Jan. 20.

Trump has said that the timing was “unfortunate” and “interferes with my ability to negotiate a resolution to avoid an abrupt shutdown of the TikTok platform while addressing national security concerns.”

The law also contains a provision allowing the president to issue a one-time, 90-day extension delaying enforcement if certain conditions are met.

2. What Did Trump’s Order Do?

On Jan. 20, the president signed an executive order that directed the attorney general not to enforce the law for 75 days.

He also directed the Department of Justice (DOJ) to tell tech companies that there was no liability for hosting or servicing TikTok during that time.

It also states there’s no liability between Jan. 19 and the signing of the order about 24 hours later.

During his first term, Trump signed an order aimed at shutting down TikTok on national security grounds, but he has since changed his mind.

“TikTok is largely young people,” Trump said from the White House on Jan. 20 when he signed the new order.

“I guess I have a warm spot for TikTok that I didn’t have originally.” When asked why he changed his mind, he said: “Because I got to use it.”

By Sam Dorman

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

An Unseen Tale of Marjorie Taylor Greene

The sudden resignation of Georgia Republican Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene has had journalists and political pundits pondering.

‘Social Infertility’: Where Biomedical Profiteering Intersects Social Justice™

“The global surrogacy* market was estimated at USD 22.4 billion...

Were The Brits Behind Bloomberg’s Russian-US Leaks?

Bloomberg shared alleged call transcripts between Trump envoy Steve Witkoff and top Putin aides about discussions on the Ukrainian peace process.

Flipping the Script: When Democrats Project Their Own Instability 

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the most erratic, inconsistent, and emotionally incontinent political figure in recent memory, isn’t tweeting from Mar-a-Lago.

This is Your Brain on Plastic, a Literature Review

Microplastics in the air, land and sea migrate into every organ where they burrow and from which they cannot feasibly be eliminated or degraded.

Afghan Parolee Charged With Terroristic Threat

The case, in addition to a recent shooting of...

Cartels Are Scrambling as Fentanyl Precursor Supply From China Dries Up: FBI Director

Beijing halted fentanyl precursor exports, leaving cartels in Mexico, Venezuela, and Colombia scrambling for alternatives that don’t exist.

National Guard Shooting Suspect to Be Charged With First-Degree Murder, Pirro Says

Charges will be upgraded to first-degree murder after one of the two National Guard members shot this week died, the U.S. attorney said.

Trump Says He Will Pardon Ex-Honduran President Convicted by Jury in US Drug Case

President Trump grants a full pardon to ex-Honduran President Juan Orlando Hernandez, who is serving 45 years in the U.S. for drug and firearms convictions.

Trump Says He Is Canceling All Biden Executive Orders Signed With Autopen

President Trump announced he is revoking executive orders and other presidential actions previously signed by former President Joe Biden using an autopen.

Trump Says US May Cut Income Tax Completely in Next Couple of Years Due to Tariff Income

Trump said the U.S. could end income taxes within a few years, citing tariff revenue as the reason such a shift might be possible.

USCIS Stops Processing All Afghan Immigration Requests After DC National Guard Shooting

USCIS has stopped processing all immigration requests relating to Afghan nationals indefinitely pending further review of security and vetting protocols,
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central