Missing Chinese Citizen Journalist Who Covered Wuhan Outbreak Currently Held in Detention, Source Says

The Epoch Times Header

Unheard of since early last year, citizen journalist Fang Bin remains held in Wuhan awaiting court

Fang Bin, the first Chinese citizen journalist who reported on the beginnings of the COVID-19 pandemic in central China, is being detained at the Jiang’an Detention Center in the city of Wuhan, a local official said on Nov. 24.

The official told The Epoch Times that Fang’s case is in the hands of the Jiang’an District Court.

This is the first time that the outside world has known of Fang’s whereabouts since his arrest on Feb. 9, 2020.

As a businessman in Wuhan City, ground zero of the COVID-19 pandemic, Fang witnessed crowded hospitals and people dying from the disease during January 2020. He also saw how communist authorities were lying about the pandemic.

Despite concerns about being infected or being set upon by the authorities for revealing the truth, Fang shot video footage at hospitals in Wuhan and then, on Jan. 25, 2020, managed to publish them on YouTube, where Chinese censors were unable to reach.

Fang’s videos quickly attracted worldwide attention, allowing people to understand how serious COVID-19 was. His bravery also encouraged several Chinese citizen journalists to join him.

In response to his efforts, the Chinese regime arrested Fang several times between Feb. 1 to Feb. 9, 2020.

On Feb. 9, 2020, Fang released his last video, in which he urged all Chinese people to resist the communist regime.

“Hand the power of the regime back to the people,” Fang said in the video.

Since then, Fang has been missing and family members refuse to say anything about him due to fear of the authorities.

Three other citizen journalists—Chen Qiushi, Li Zehua, and Zhang Zhan were detained in Wuhan at various times last year. Li was released in March 2020, Zhang met her lawyer on June 8, 2020, and was sentenced to four years in prison, while Chen was confirmed alive and safe in September 2020.

Since his arrest, the authorities have not released any information about him.

Fang Is Alive

On Nov. 24, a trusted Wuhan official told The Epoch Times via phone that Fang was alive and his case needed more time to go through legal processes.

The official’s name and position have been withheld for safety reasons.

By Nicole Hao

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

Columns

Justice Delayed is Justice Denied, Prosecute Jeffrey Goldberg!

Jeffrey Goldberg reported on his mistaken inclusion in a signal chat as a hit piece on Trump. Should he be prosecuted under the Espionage Act?

Zelensky Has No Feasible Alternative To Accepting Trump’s Lopsided Resource Deal

Trump warned Zelensky he will have “some problems – big, big problems” if he “tries to back out of the rare earth deal” amidst reports agreement is lopsided.

DOGE and Musk Recover Deleted Computer Files

Elon Musk and his “Geek Squad” discovered an entire terabyte of data was deleted from government servers from the office of the “Institute of Peace”.

A Simple Question

What is a woman? Anyone with an IQ above room temperature can answer the question. Everyone, that is, except Democrats.

Democrats Tesla Takedown is a Proven Astro Turf Movement

Elon Musk and other journalistic leaders like Joe Rogan have been asking the critical question, “Who is behind the organization of these Tesla protests?”

News

Stellantis Pausing Production at Canada, Mexico Plants; 900 US Workers Temporarily Laid Off

Stellantis is pausing production at two assembly plants in Canada and Mexico, resulting in temporary layoffs at five U.S. facilities that supply them.

States to Certify Anti-Discrimination Commitment or Lose Federal Education Funding

State ed. agencies must certify that schools under their jurisdiction are not discriminating based on race or national origin for future federal funding.

Pentagon Watchdog Launches Investigation Into Hegseth Over Use of Signal

The inspector general for the Department of Defense is investigating Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth over his use of the messaging app Signal.

US Layoffs Top 275,000 in March, Driven by Government Job Cuts: Report

Layoffs announced by U.S.-based employers soared in March to highest level since COVID-19 pandemic, with govt job cuts accounting for most headcount reduction.

Dow Jones Drops 1,500 Points a Day After Trump Tariff Announcement

U.S. stock indexes dropped after Trump's sweeping tariffs of 10 percent or higher, with Dow Jones plunging by 1,500 points at one point in early trading.

7 Takeaways From Trump’s Reciprocal Tariff Roll Out

Trump announced sweeping trade policy changes, introducing what he called “reciprocal tariffs” for all countries and declaring it “Liberation Day in America.”

ACLU Sues Trump Admin Over Canceled Grants Tied to DEI, Gender Identity Research

ACLU, public health orgs, unions, and researchers, filed federal lawsuit accusing NIH of unlawfully canceling research grants due to political and ideological pressure.

US Immigration Services Drops 3rd Gender Option

US immigration services agency officially updated policy to recognize only two biological sexes—male and female—for all immigration-related doc and benefit requests.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central