Project Veritas Urges Court to Make US Government Pay for All Costs of Special Master Review

The Epoch Times Header

Project Veritas is urging a federal court to make the U.S. government pay for all the costs associated with a review of materials government agents seized from the journalism group’s founder and two former employees.

Special master Barbara Jones, a retired lawyer appointed last month as a special master in the case, proposed Project Veritas and the government split the costs.

But government lawyers pushed U.S. District Judge Analisa Torres, an Obama nominee overseeing the case, to force Project Veritas to pay everything. They cited how the government opposed the appointment of a special master.

“In light of the circumstances presented, the Petitioners should bear the full cost of the Special Master’s compensation and expenses, principally because they are ‘responsible … for the reference to a master,’” U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York Damian Williams, a Biden nominee, told Torres in a recent letter.

Project Veritas lawyers criticized the move in a letter sent to Torres on Jan. 17.

“Not satisfied with defiling the First Amendment and attacking a news organization, its journalists, and a free press through its diary investigation, and unhappy with this Court’s recognition of the important First Amendment issues implicated by the government’s actions, the government now objects to the Special Master’s recommendation that the government bear half of the cost of her fees and expenses. Instead, the government seeks to tax Project Veritas for the procedural safeguards necessitated by its attack. The government’s position is its latest attempt to punish and restrain a news organization critical of the current administration,” they wrote.

The case stems from an investigation into the diary of Ashley Biden, the daughter of President Joe Biden.

Project Veritas says it received materials that purportedly were penned by the younger Biden last year but ended up not publishing them because the group could not verify the veracity of the materials.

The group says it handed over the documents to local law enforcement in Florida.

FBI officials claim the diary was stolen and raided the homes of Project Veritas founder and CEO James O’Keefe and two men who used to work for the group.

The Department of Justice had claimed that it would use a “filter team” to sift through the materials and separate out any subject to attorney-client privilege or other rules but Torres sided with Project Veritas and agreed to appoint a special master to do the sifting, finding the appointment would “ensure ‘the perception of fairness.’”

Project Veritas lawyers pointed out that the government cited no case authority in its attempt to make the group pay for the special master costs and said the appointment was only necessary “because the government improperly executed search warrants on journalists in violation of the law and Department of Justice (“DOJ”) regulations that safeguard First Amendment principles.”

“The government argues that an upstart journalism organization with a current annual budget that recently hovers around $22 million is better suited to fund Special Master proceedings than a goliath arm of the U.S. government featuring a long-standing bloated budget, currently at $31.1 billion,” they added later.

Torres is expected to rule on the matter in the coming weeks.

By Zachary Stieber

Read Original Article on TheEpochTimes.com

Project Veritas
Project Veritashttps://www.projectveritas.com/
Project Veritas investigates and exposes corruption, dishonesty, self-dealing, waste, fraud, and more in institutions to achieve ethics and transparency in society.

Columns

Justice Delayed is Justice Denied, Prosecute Jeffrey Goldberg!

Jeffrey Goldberg reported on his mistaken inclusion in a signal chat as a hit piece on Trump. Should he be prosecuted under the Espionage Act?

Zelensky Has No Feasible Alternative To Accepting Trump’s Lopsided Resource Deal

Trump warned Zelensky he will have “some problems – big, big problems” if he “tries to back out of the rare earth deal” amidst reports agreement is lopsided.

DOGE and Musk Recover Deleted Computer Files

Elon Musk and his “Geek Squad” discovered an entire terabyte of data was deleted from government servers from the office of the “Institute of Peace”.

A Simple Question

What is a woman? Anyone with an IQ above room temperature can answer the question. Everyone, that is, except Democrats.

Democrats Tesla Takedown is a Proven Astro Turf Movement

Elon Musk and other journalistic leaders like Joe Rogan have been asking the critical question, “Who is behind the organization of these Tesla protests?”

News

Stellantis Pausing Production at Canada, Mexico Plants; 900 US Workers Temporarily Laid Off

Stellantis is pausing production at two assembly plants in Canada and Mexico, resulting in temporary layoffs at five U.S. facilities that supply them.

States to Certify Anti-Discrimination Commitment or Lose Federal Education Funding

State ed. agencies must certify that schools under their jurisdiction are not discriminating based on race or national origin for future federal funding.

Pentagon Watchdog Launches Investigation Into Hegseth Over Use of Signal

The inspector general for the Department of Defense is investigating Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth over his use of the messaging app Signal.

Court Dismisses Appeal of Order Blocking DOGE From Social Security

An appeals court this week dismissed the Trump administration’s appeal of a lower court order that blocked the DOGE from obtaining Social Security data.

US Layoffs Top 275,000 in March, Driven by Government Job Cuts: Report

Layoffs announced by U.S.-based employers soared in March to highest level since COVID-19 pandemic, with govt job cuts accounting for most headcount reduction.

Dow Jones Drops 1,500 Points a Day After Trump Tariff Announcement

U.S. stock indexes dropped after Trump's sweeping tariffs of 10 percent or higher, with Dow Jones plunging by 1,500 points at one point in early trading.

ACLU Sues Trump Admin Over Canceled Grants Tied to DEI, Gender Identity Research

ACLU, public health orgs, unions, and researchers, filed federal lawsuit accusing NIH of unlawfully canceling research grants due to political and ideological pressure.

US Immigration Services Drops 3rd Gender Option

US immigration services agency officially updated policy to recognize only two biological sexes—male and female—for all immigration-related doc and benefit requests.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central