Cease-Fire Between Israel and Hamas Begins; 3 Hostages to Be Released

The Epoch Times Header

Netanyahu’s office confirmed that Israel had officially received a list of three female hostages who are expected to be released later today.

A fragile cease-fire and hostage deal reached between Hamas and Israel came into effect on Sunday morning, after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office confirmed that Israel had officially received a list of three female hostages who are expected to be released later today.

At the request of the prime minister’s office, the names are not yet being released publicly.

“We request all media and the public not to circulate the details of the list … and safeguard the privacy of the families,” Netanyahu’s office said in a statement.

Israel repeatedly said throughout Saturday night into Sunday morning that it was yet to receive the list of hostage names from Hamas agreed to in the cease-fire deal. According to the agreement, Hamas was meant to have provided the names of hostages to be released 24 hours ahead of time. The first release was expected around 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, local media said.

Hamas previously said it would release three female Israeli civilian hostages on day one of the cease-fire and four more on the seventh day. It would then release three more hostages every seven days.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held a security meeting Saturday night regarding the delay after not receiving the names, his office said.

Netanyahu “instructed the IDF that the cease-fire, which is scheduled to take effect at 8:30 a.m., will not begin until Israel has the list of hostages to be released, which Hamas has pledged to provide,” it added.

Early on Sunday morning the start of the cease-fire remained uncertain, as Netanyahu said that Israel was still awaiting the names of the three female civilians who Hamas had said they would release on Jan. 19. The names were supposed to have been released Saturday afternoon.

Hamas released a statement shortly after saying the delay was due to “technical reasons,” adding that it “confirms its commitment to the terms of the ceasefire agreement,” local media reported.

In the upcoming phase one of the deal, if it holds, Hamas will release a total of 33 hostages—most of whom are still alive. In exchange, Israel has agree to release an unspecified number of Palestinian prisoners convicted of acts of terror against Israel.

By Melanie Sun

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

Columns

Justice Delayed is Justice Denied, Prosecute Jeffrey Goldberg!

Jeffrey Goldberg reported on his mistaken inclusion in a signal chat as a hit piece on Trump. Should he be prosecuted under the Espionage Act?

Zelensky Has No Feasible Alternative To Accepting Trump’s Lopsided Resource Deal

Trump warned Zelensky he will have “some problems – big, big problems” if he “tries to back out of the rare earth deal” amidst reports agreement is lopsided.

DOGE and Musk Recover Deleted Computer Files

Elon Musk and his “Geek Squad” discovered an entire terabyte of data was deleted from government servers from the office of the “Institute of Peace”.

A Simple Question

What is a woman? Anyone with an IQ above room temperature can answer the question. Everyone, that is, except Democrats.

Democrats Tesla Takedown is a Proven Astro Turf Movement

Elon Musk and other journalistic leaders like Joe Rogan have been asking the critical question, “Who is behind the organization of these Tesla protests?”

News

Stellantis Pausing Production at Canada, Mexico Plants; 900 US Workers Temporarily Laid Off

Stellantis is pausing production at two assembly plants in Canada and Mexico, resulting in temporary layoffs at five U.S. facilities that supply them.

States to Certify Anti-Discrimination Commitment or Lose Federal Education Funding

State ed. agencies must certify that schools under their jurisdiction are not discriminating based on race or national origin for future federal funding.

Pentagon Watchdog Launches Investigation Into Hegseth Over Use of Signal

The inspector general for the Department of Defense is investigating Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth over his use of the messaging app Signal.

Court Dismisses Appeal of Order Blocking DOGE From Social Security

An appeals court this week dismissed the Trump administration’s appeal of a lower court order that blocked the DOGE from obtaining Social Security data.

US Layoffs Top 275,000 in March, Driven by Government Job Cuts: Report

Layoffs announced by U.S.-based employers soared in March to highest level since COVID-19 pandemic, with govt job cuts accounting for most headcount reduction.

Dow Jones Drops 1,500 Points a Day After Trump Tariff Announcement

U.S. stock indexes dropped after Trump's sweeping tariffs of 10 percent or higher, with Dow Jones plunging by 1,500 points at one point in early trading.

ACLU Sues Trump Admin Over Canceled Grants Tied to DEI, Gender Identity Research

ACLU, public health orgs, unions, and researchers, filed federal lawsuit accusing NIH of unlawfully canceling research grants due to political and ideological pressure.

US Immigration Services Drops 3rd Gender Option

US immigration services agency officially updated policy to recognize only two biological sexes—male and female—for all immigration-related doc and benefit requests.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central