ISIS Claims Responsibility for Afghanistan Bombings, US General Says America ‘Prepared to Take Action’

The Epoch Times Logo

The ISIS-K terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the bombings in Kabul, Afghanistan, that killed a dozen U.S. troops.

ISIS-K published a photograph of a man it claimed conducted one of the suicide bombings and described the explosions as targeting American forces and their “spies.”

It also threatened additional attacks.

The bombs were set off just outside the Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul, which U.S. troops have been guarding since mid-August.

Thirteen U.S. troops were killed and more than a dozen others were wounded.

Kenneth McKenzie, the CENTCOM commander general, also pinned the attack on ISIS, and said the United States was preparing for more bombings.

U.S. officials had warned this week about a possible ISIS attack, including in briefings with Congress.

Military officials are continuing to coordinate with the Taliban, including conveying what they expect that terrorist group to do “to protect us,” according to McKenzie. That includes pushing the Taliban to expand the ground they are patrolling outside the airport.

There’s no indication the Taliban was involved in the attack or let it happen, according to U.S. officials.

President Joe Biden vowed recently that any action against U.S. troops would trigger a swift response. Asked about that, McKenzie told reporters it would depend on locating those behind the attack.

“If we can find who’s associated with this, we will go after them. We’ve been clear all along that we’re going to retain the right to operate against ISIS in Afghanistan and we are working very hard right now to determine attribution, to determine whose associated with this cowardly attack, and we’re prepared to take action against them. 24/7 we are looking for them,” he said.

The exact circumstances of the attack are under investigation but the preliminary understanding of the initial explosion is a suicide bomber got to the gate before setting off a bomb.

U.S. troops are in position at the gates to vet people trying to get through. The vetting includes checking for bombs or other weapons.

“There’s no substitute for a young man or woman, a young United States man or woman, standing up there conducting a search of that person before we let them on,” McKenzie said.

Before the first bomb went off, 104,000 people had been let through the gates.

Many of them were Afghans who are fleeing the country after assisting U.S. troops during the decadeslong war.

The Taliban check people at their checkpoints before letting them pass but sometimes those searches are not thorough.

The United States began controlling the airport around the time the Taliban took over the country. It’s the only ground U.S. troops control ahead of their planned withdrawal on Aug. 31.

“Right now our focus is actually going forward ensuring another attack of this nature does not occur, because as you know the pattern is typically multiple attacks,” McKenzie said, adding that evacuations were continuing.

Biden has been briefed on the attack, according to the White House. Neither he nor any other White House officials have spoken publicly since the bombings.

By Zachary Stieber

Read Original Article on TheEpochTimes.com

The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

Columns

Justice Delayed is Justice Denied, Prosecute Jeffrey Goldberg!

Jeffrey Goldberg reported on his mistaken inclusion in a signal chat as a hit piece on Trump. Should he be prosecuted under the Espionage Act?

Zelensky Has No Feasible Alternative To Accepting Trump’s Lopsided Resource Deal

Trump warned Zelensky he will have “some problems – big, big problems” if he “tries to back out of the rare earth deal” amidst reports agreement is lopsided.

DOGE and Musk Recover Deleted Computer Files

Elon Musk and his “Geek Squad” discovered an entire terabyte of data was deleted from government servers from the office of the “Institute of Peace”.

A Simple Question

What is a woman? Anyone with an IQ above room temperature can answer the question. Everyone, that is, except Democrats.

Democrats Tesla Takedown is a Proven Astro Turf Movement

Elon Musk and other journalistic leaders like Joe Rogan have been asking the critical question, “Who is behind the organization of these Tesla protests?”

News

Stellantis Pausing Production at Canada, Mexico Plants; 900 US Workers Temporarily Laid Off

Stellantis is pausing production at two assembly plants in Canada and Mexico, resulting in temporary layoffs at five U.S. facilities that supply them.

Pentagon Watchdog Launches Investigation Into Hegseth Over Use of Signal

The inspector general for the Department of Defense is investigating Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth over his use of the messaging app Signal.

US Layoffs Top 275,000 in March, Driven by Government Job Cuts: Report

Layoffs announced by U.S.-based employers soared in March to highest level since COVID-19 pandemic, with govt job cuts accounting for most headcount reduction.

Dow Jones Drops 1,500 Points a Day After Trump Tariff Announcement

U.S. stock indexes dropped after Trump's sweeping tariffs of 10 percent or higher, with Dow Jones plunging by 1,500 points at one point in early trading.

7 Takeaways From Trump’s Reciprocal Tariff Roll Out

Trump announced sweeping trade policy changes, introducing what he called “reciprocal tariffs” for all countries and declaring it “Liberation Day in America.”

ACLU Sues Trump Admin Over Canceled Grants Tied to DEI, Gender Identity Research

ACLU, public health orgs, unions, and researchers, filed federal lawsuit accusing NIH of unlawfully canceling research grants due to political and ideological pressure.

US Immigration Services Drops 3rd Gender Option

US immigration services agency officially updated policy to recognize only two biological sexes—male and female—for all immigration-related doc and benefit requests.

Transgender Covenant School Killer Planned Attack for Years, Final Police Report Says

Transgender shooter in mass killing at Christian school in Nashville, TN was an alumnus motivated by a quest for notoriety, final police report concludes.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central