RFK Jr. Renews Demand for Secret Service Protection After Assassination of Ecuadorian Candidate

The Epoch Times Header

The 2024 presidential campaign of Robert F. Kennedy Jr. renewed calls for President Joe Biden to provide protection for the candidate.

Mr. Kennedy’s campaign manager Dennis Kucinich publicly called on President Biden to order Secret Service protection for Mr. Kennedy following the assassination of an Ecuadorian anti-corruption presidential candidate.

Ecuador presidential candidate Fernando Villavicencio who recently promised to get rid of corruption and lock up the country’s drug runners, was shot and killed at a political rally in Quito, the capital.

Mr. Villavicencio, 59, was killed on Aug. 9, less than two weeks before a special presidential election. He was known for speaking out against drug gangs, and while he wasn’t a front-runner, his death has caused increased concern about organized crime.

“The killing of Mr. Villavicencio proves how volatile the political climate has become,” Mr. Kucinich said in a press release sent to The Epoch Times. “Yesterday the FBI confronted a man who had threatened President Biden, an incident that led to the man being shot dead by government agents.”

Mr. Kucinich, a 16-year member of Congress, continued, “Mr. Kennedy has met all criteria for protection. The only conceivable reason he is being denied is because of a conscious decision by the White House to deny him security and [expletive] the consequences.”

Previous Calls for Protection

Late last month, Mr. Kennedy alleged the White House had denied his request for Secret Service protection for three months: “Since the assassination of my father in 1968, candidates for president are provided Secret Service protection,” Mr. Kennedy wrote on X, previously known as Twitter. “But not me.”

The Democrat candidate said the Biden administration has turned down his request and said Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas reportedly told his campaign: “I have determined that Secret Service protection for Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is not warranted at this time.”

“Our campaign’s request included a 67-page report from the world’s leading protection firm, detailing unique and well-established security and safety risks aside from commonplace death threats,” said Mr. Kennedy, noting that it was his understanding that the “typical turnaround time for pro forma protection requests” is about two weeks.

The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

Columns

DOGE and Musk Recover Deleted Computer Files

Elon Musk and his “Geek Squad” discovered an entire terabyte of data was deleted from government servers from the office of the “Institute of Peace”.

A Simple Question

What is a woman? Anyone with an IQ above room temperature can answer the question. Everyone, that is, except Democrats.

Democrats Tesla Takedown is a Proven Astro Turf Movement

Elon Musk and other journalistic leaders like Joe Rogan have been asking the critical question, “Who is behind the organization of these Tesla protests?”

Can Ramaphosa and Trump Come to Terms?

Whether South Africa can quell the hostility emanating from Washington, without compromising on its national priorities, is a formidable test for a country

Maddened Europe

Viable prospects for peaceful settlement of conflict between Moscow and Kyiv exist, but Europe obsesses over threat of incursion onto European territory.

News

US Immigration Services Drops 3rd Gender Option

US immigration services agency officially updated policy to recognize only two biological sexes—male and female—for all immigration-related doc and benefit requests.

Transgender Covenant School Killer Planned Attack for Years, Final Police Report Says

Transgender shooter in mass killing at Christian school in Nashville, TN was an alumnus motivated by a quest for notoriety, final police report concludes.

Supreme Court Reviews South Carolina’s Medicaid Funding Block on Planned Parenthood

U.S. Supreme Court weighed whether South Carolina can stop abortion provider Planned Parenthood from taking part in state’s Medicaid program.

Africa at Crossroads After $13 Billion US Aid Cut, Say Analysts

African countries reacted with shock when the U.S. government recently cut $13 billion in financial assistance.

Trump Admin Ordered to Restore Legal Aid for Unaccompanied Minors

Judge in CA ordered Trump admin to restore funding for nonprofits providing legal services to unaccompanied illegal immigrant children who entered US.

Val Kilmer, Star of ‘Top Gun’ and ‘Batman,’ Dies at 65

Actor Val Kilmer, best known for his roles in movies “Top Gun,” “The Doors,” and “Batman Forever,” died on April 1 at age 65, his daughter confirmed.

Princeton Says Trump Administration Has Suspended Dozens of Research Grants

Trump admin has suspended several dozen federally funded research grants to Princeton University as part of its investigation into campus anti-Semitism.

How Trump’s ‘Liberation Day’ Tariffs Are Set to Reshape Global Trade

President Donald Trump is set to announce reciprocal tariffs for all nations starting April 2, the date he has dubbed “Liberation Day.”
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central