Scoop: Biden officials fear “mass migration event” if COVID policies end

5Mind. The Meme Platform
Axios Header

U.S. intelligence officials are privately bracing for a massive influx of more than 170,000 migrants at the Mexico border if COVID-era policies that allow instant expulsions during the public health emergency are ended, sources with direct knowledge of the discussions tell Axios.

  • The response under way includes a newly created — and previously unreported — Southwest Border Coordination Center (SBCC), essentially a war room to coordinate an interagency response.

Why it matters: Border officials have used Title 42 more than 1 million times to rapidly expel migrants at the southern border without hearing asylum claims. But the Trump-era order wasn’t set up to be permanent, and senior Biden officials are preparing for its end as the virus is brought under control.

  • Department of Homeland Security intelligence estimates that perhaps 25,000 migrants already are waiting in Mexican shelters just south of the border for Title 42 to end.
  • On Wednesday, DHS Deputy Secretary John Tien asked employees “to consider stepping forward to support the DHS Volunteer Force,” citing large numbers of migrants at the southwest border, according to an email seen by Axios. The email seeks general support for U.S. Customs and Border Protection and help with data entry.
  • Sources spoke to Axios on condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive internal conversations.

What they’re saying: White House spokesperson Vedant Patel did not confirm or dispute specifics of Axios’ reporting but said in a statement, “Of course the Administration is doing our due diligence to prepare for potential changes at the border.“

  • “That is good government in action,” the statement said. “As always is the case this Administration is working every day to provide relief to immigrants, restore order, fairness, and humanity to our immigration system and bring it into the 21st century.” 

Behind the scenes: Internal discussions have raised alarms that human trafficking networks throughout Mexico and Central America will exploit the situation to “generate a mass migration event.”

  • Top Biden officials representing multiple agencies have been meeting to discuss a whole-of-government plan to deal with the potentially record-breaking spring influx of migrants. DHS has branded it the Southwest Border Mass Irregular Migration Contingency Plan.
  • The plan is sweeping, reflecting how serious the Biden administration believes the situation could soon become, worsening a border surge that has troubled it from the beginning.

By Jonathan Swan and Stef W. Kight

Read Full Article on Axios.com

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Thinking Conservative
The Thinking Conservativehttps://www.thethinkingconservative.com/
The goal of THE THINKING CONSERVATIVE is to help us educate ourselves on conservative topics of importance to our freedom and our pursuit of happiness. We do this by sharing conservative opinions on all kinds of subjects, from all types of people, and all kinds of media, in a way that will challenge our perceptions and help us to make educated choices.
00:02:22

Young Washington: Movie Review

Sitting in the theater watching Young Washington, I found myself wondering why this story hadn’t been made into a film sooner.
00:02:08

A Movie That’ll Keep You Awake: A Great Awakening

So how does someone (me) who thinks they’ve just seen the greatest movie ever (A Great Awakening), persuade you to watch it?

Ring That Bell

If I could travel back in time to 1776,...

Thoughts On America 250

Before you, American reader, is the honor, blessing, and privilege of celebrating the 250th anniversary of our nation. A nation toward which God has been merciful, shining His great grace.
00:01:39

Citizen Vigilante Delivers the Warning Western Governments Desperately Need to Hear

Citizen Vigilante shows what happens when the state stops defending the native population and shields favored migrant groups while criminalizing native dissent.
00:02:45

Trump to Ease Ground Beef Import Quotas for 90 Days

President Trump will allow up to 300,000 metric tons of ground beef to be imported with no out-of-quota tariff for 90 days to reduce beef prices for Americans.

US State Bill May Criminalize Prayers Outside Abortion Centers: Pro-Life Organization

New Jersey Gov. Mikie Sherrill signed legislation on Thursday that can potentially criminalize conducting prayers outside abortion centers.
00:02:14

8 Killed After Charter Plane Crashes in Western Alaska: US Military

The U.S. military said on Aug. 20 that eight people were killed when a charter plane crashed at a remote military radar site in western Alaska.

Trump Tells Michael Cohen ‘They Weaponized You’ in Radio Interview, Praises His Recanting

President Donald Trump appeared on Michael Cohen’s radio show and commended his former attorney for recanting his previous statements.
00:20:06

First Lady Unveils Racing Collaboration, $2 Million in ‘Fostering the Future’ Scholarships 

First Lady Melania Trump at the White House announce $2 million in scholarships for foster youth, expanding her Fostering the Future initiative.
00:01:31

Trump Announces Pause on 50 Percent Tariff as US, Canada Reach Last-Minute Deal

President Trump announced he would delay an additional 50 percent tariff on certain Canadian goods following last-minute talks between the two countries.
00:01:47

Trump Says He’ll Declare the Hormuz Strait a US Territory ‘Pretty Soon’

President Trump announced his intention to declare the Strait of Hormuz a U.S. territory, introducing a new position regarding the vital waterway.

Trade Court Upholds Trump’s Shutdown of $800 De Minimis Duty Exemption

U.S. Court upheld Trump admin’s authority to end the de minimis exemption allowing Americans to avoid paying duty on packages worth $800 or less.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central