Sen. McConnell on Total Withdrawal From Afghanistan: ‘One of the Worst Foreign Policy Decisions in American History’

5Mind. The Meme Platform
The Epoch Times Logo

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) criticized President Joe Biden’s decision to completely withdraw from Afghanistan, calling it “one of the worst foreign policy decisions” ever made in the nation’s history.

“Now we are looking at the exit and over the next two days, our heroic military is doing the best they can with a horrible policy decision. This is one of the worst foreign policy decisions in American history. Much worse than Saigon, because after we left Saigon, there weren’t Vietnamese terrorists who were planning on attacking us here at home,” McConnell told Fox News host Chris Wallace on “Fox News Sunday.”

Just because we decided to quit fighting doesn’t mean the terrorists go away. So they are still out there, they are invigorated, they are emboldened and excited about the success they say in bringing America to its knees in Afghanistan.”

Biden has faced harsh criticism from Republicans and some Democrats for not evacuating citizens and equipment before the military shut down the strategic Bagram Airbase, as well as being forced to send close to 6,000 troops into Afghanistan a day after it became clear U.S. citizens were stranded in the country.

Biden has defended the way he handled the withdrawal.

“I stand squarely behind my decision. After 20 years, I’ve learned the hard way that there was never a good time to withdraw U.S. forces. That’s why we’re still there. We were clear-eyed about the risks. We planned for every contingency. But I always promised the American people that I will be straight with you,” Biden said during an Aug. 16 press briefing at the White House.

Biden said the collapse of the Afghan government showed him that the U.S. military withdrawal was the right course of action.

“The truth is, this did unfold more quickly than we had anticipated. So, what’s happened? Afghanistan political leaders gave up and fled the country. The Afghan military collapsed, sometimes without trying to fight. If anything, the developments of the past week reinforced that ending U.S. military involvement in Afghanistan now was the right decision,” Biden said.

Biden also said he had only one choice because if he didn’t order the withdrawal, he would have had to send thousands of troops back into Afghanistan to fight the Taliban.

However, most critics of the withdrawal say that they don’t oppose the withdrawal, but how the exit was handled and that it could have been better organized to prevent the current emergency evacuation of U.S. citizens and allies, as well as preventing billions of dollars worth of U.S. military equipment from falling into the possession of the Taliban.

The Trump administration has said the withdrawal from Afghanistan that they had previously arranged was conditions-based and would have been assessed at the time to prevent any chaos or loss of life.

Former U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who was involved in peace talks with the Taliban during the Trump administration, told Fox News on Aug. 27 that former President Donald Trump didn’t withdraw all U.S. troops from Afghanistan like Biden has because he never saw the right conditions to do so.

“No one disputes that the right thing to do was to get these folks home, but we never found the conditions right to execute what President Biden chose to do,” Pompeo said. “President Trump wanted everyone out from January 2017. We never found the conditions right to do that.”

McConnell said that keeping the 2,500 troops in Afghanistan would have been the correct decision.

“With the continued deployment of 2,500 people, we were in effect keeping a lid on, keeping terrorists from reconstituting, and having a light footprint in the country. The policy was working. Therefore, I think calling it an endless war or claiming that we are somehow trying to get involved in a civil war, domestic civil war is simply not accurate,” McConnell said.

“We went over there to protect us here at home. We have not had a mass casualty attack from over there in these 20 years. I’d call that a successful policy.”

By Masooma Haq

Read Original Article on TheEpochTimes.com

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Thinking Conservative
The Thinking Conservativehttps://www.thethinkingconservative.com/
The goal of THE THINKING CONSERVATIVE is to help us educate ourselves on conservative topics of importance to our freedom and our pursuit of happiness. We do this by sharing conservative opinions on all kinds of subjects, from all types of people, and all kinds of media, in a way that will challenge our perceptions and help us to make educated choices.

Ozempic, What Could Go Wrong?

Humanity often ignores clear warning signs when they conflict with comfort, convenience, vanity, or quick fixes.

Exposing the Hypocrats

Americans are beginning to notice that a large portion of modern politics has become less about serving the people and more about manipulating them.

Germany’s Military Patronage Of Ukraine Is A Crucial Part Of Its Grand Strategy

German Defense Minister Boris Pistorius announced during his recent visit to Kiev that their countries will jointly develop “deep strike” capabilities.

The Constitution Only Works When Congress Works

The Constitution only works when Congress acts as it intends. It cannot work if Congress fails to defend its own institution and the separation of powers.

WATCH What Muslim Men Do To Western Women In The Netherlands – This Will SHOCK You!

Western Europe faces growing political and social division, with critics blaming both left-wing and centrist leadership for ongoing decline.

NASCAR Cup Series Champion Kyle Busch Dies at 41 After ‘Severe Illness’

Two-time NASCAR Cup Series champion Kyle Busch has died at the age of 41, after being hospitalized earlier this week with an undisclosed illness.

CDC Warns Malaria Could Be Reintroduced in US

The CDC warned in a new report that malaria, a sometimes fatal blood parasitic disease, could be reestablished in the United States.

Minnesota Fraud Mastermind Sentenced to Nearly 42 Years in Prison

Aimee Bock, leader of Feeding Our Future, will spend 42 years in prison for playing a “central” role in the nation’s largest COVID-19 pandemic scam.

DOJ Charges 15 in $90 Million Minnesota Fraud Schemes

Criminal charges have been filed against 15 accused fraudsters in Minnesota, involving more than $90 million in taxpayers’ dollars, federal officials.

Trump’s Triumphal Arch Approved by Federal Commission

A commission has approved President Donald Trump’s triumphal arch just outside of Washington, a key step toward making the project a reality.

Trump Details Military Complex Above and Below New White House Ballroom

Trump says planned White House ballroom will be the “safest building ever built,” serving ceremonial and national security purposes.

Senate Confirms 49 Trump Nominees, Including Key Energy Officials

The Senate has confirmed 49 nominees selected by President Trump, including officials tapped to oversee federal land management and energy policy.

Trump Heading to China for High-Stakes Summit With Xi

President Trump is set to depart Washington for China, where he will meet with Chinese leader Xi Jinping for a high-stakes summit.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central