TikTok Goes Dark in US; Trump Signals Possible 90-day Delay on Ban

5Mind. The Meme Platform
The Epoch Times Header

TikTok’s future remains uncertain as Trump mulls a 90-day extension following a Supreme Court ruling upholding the app’s ban.

The TikTok social media platform became unavailable in the United States on Saturday night before a federal ban on the Chinese-owned short-video app took effect. The app has also disappeared from app stores.

“A law banning TikTok has been enacted in the United States,” a message on the app states.

“Unfortunately, that means you can’t use TikTok for now. We are fortunate that President Trump has indicated that he will work with us on a solution to reinstate TikTok once he takes office. Please stay tuned.”

President-elect Donald Trump said Saturday that he will probably give TikTok a temporary reprieve from a looming ban over the platform’s China ties, which would allow the platform to continue operating in the United States as his administration undertakes a careful review of the situation.

“The 90-day extension is something that will be most likely done, because it’s appropriate,” he told NBC in a Jan. 18 interview. “If I decide to do that, I’ll probably announce it on Monday.”

Trump’s remarks come after TikTok said late Friday it would be “forced to go dark” on Sunday—the day before Trump’s inauguration—unless the Biden administration delivers a guarantee that it will not enforce a law requiring the company to divest or face a nationwide ban.

“The statements issued today by both the Biden White House and the Department of Justice have failed to provide the necessary clarity and assurance to the service providers that are integral to maintaining TikTok’s availability to over 170 million Americans,” the company said in a statement on Jan. 17.

TikTok’s “go dark” warning was made after a U.S. Supreme Court ruling earlier on Friday that upheld a law banning the app in the United States unless its China-based parent company, ByteDance, sells the platform by Sunday. ByteDance has repeatedly insisted it will not sell.

The White House weighed in on the controversy on Saturday, saying that TikTok’s threat to pull the plug on the app on Sunday was little more than a gimmick.

“It is a stunt, and we see no reason for TikTok or other companies to take actions in the next few days before the Trump administration takes office on Monday,” White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre told media outlets.

By Tom Ozimek

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

John Fetterman, The Last Moderate Democrat

Sen. John Fetterman has emerged as a moderate Democrat, breaking with his party on voter ID, Israel, DHS funding, and other key policy issues.

Ghislane Maxwell’s 9/11 ‘Shadow Commission Invitation’

Why was socialite Ghislaine Maxwell — not an engineer, security expert, official, or even American-born — invited to a secret 9/11 shadow commission?

America’s Most Sacred Right: The Vote

If you are an American citizen, it is imperative that you understand that the right to vote is the most important right you possess.

Death to those Challenging Democrats?

More than a few Republican candidates have dropped out of key political races after members of their families have died under suspicious circumstances.

Generation skeptical

A News Literacy Project (NLP)  report lands like a brick: 84% of teenagers think journalism is a con, a carnival game where spin wins every prize.

NASA Awards Next 2 Private Astronaut Missions to International Space Station

NASA has awarded Axiom Space and Vast for its next two private astronaut missions to the International Space Station (ISS).

As Demand Grows, US Nuclear Energy Industry Faces Looming Crunch in Reactor Fuel Supply

The Department of Energy has invested billions of dollars to encourage U.S. companies to make enriched uranium.

No Arrests in Nancy Guthrie Case After Major Operation Near Her Home

No arrests have been made in the Nancy Guthrie case after a night of heavy police activity two miles from the missing 84-year-old’s home.

Trump Admin Launches Investigation Into Texas’s Muslim-Only Community Project

HUD probes Texas Muslim housing project amid allegations of religious and nationality-based discrimination.

Trump Admin Unveils Maritime Action Plan to Revive US Shipbuilding

The Trump administration unveiled a comprehensive Maritime Action Plan on Feb. 13 meant to resurrect the U.S. shipbuilding sector.

Trump Says US Military ‘Best-Trained, Best-Equipped’ Under His Administration

President Donald Trump highlighted military successes and investments during a speech to soldiers in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

Trump Says 2nd Carrier Group to Middle East Will Be Leaving Soon

Trump told reporters he is sending a second U.S. aircraft carrier strike group to the Middle East, in case ongoing negotiations with Iran fall through.

US, Taiwan Reach Trade Deal to Cut Tariffs, Boost Purchases of US Goods

U.S. and Taiwan sign trade deal with 15% tariff on Taiwanese imports, expanding U.S. access for beef, pork, dairy, wheat, and autos.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central