Trump Ends CBP One App Used by Migrants to Secure US Entry Appointments

The Epoch Times Header

The app was deactivated on President Donald Trump’s first day in office.

Immediately following the Jan. 20 inauguration of Donald Trump as the 47th president, the controversial CBP One app used by migrants outside the United States to schedule appointments at U.S. ports of entry was deactivated.

“Effective January 20, 2025, the functionalities of CBP One™ that previously allowed undocumented immigrants to submit advance information and schedule appointments at eight southwest border ports of entry is no longer available, and existing appointments have been canceled,” reads a notice on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) website.

CBP did not respond by publication time to a request for more details regarding the app’s deactivation, including the rationale behind the decision and whether it is permanent.

The CBP One app was first released in 2020 and expanded early in 2021 after President Joe Biden took office and Alejandro Mayorkas was appointed to lead the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The Biden administration billed the app as an expansion of “legal pathways” for migration into the United States and praised its usefulness in streamlining migrant processing.

In March 2024, CBP called the app “a key component of DHS’s efforts to incentivize noncitizens to use lawful, safe, humane, and orderly pathways.”

“Use of the CBP One™ app to schedule appointments at ports of entry has increased CBP’s capacity to process migrants more efficiently and orderly while cutting out unscrupulous smugglers who endanger and profit from vulnerable migrants,” CBP said at the time.

Migrants arriving at a port of entry with a CBP One appointment undergo national security checks but are not screened for asylum during processing. Instead, they are granted humanitarian parole, allowing them to work and receive a notice to appear in immigration court. It is during these proceedings, which often take years to resolve, that they can request asylum.

Critics say the app was widely used by migrants to gain easier entry into the United States. Republicans on the House Homeland Security Committee said in October 2023 that the vast majority of migrants who had sought appointments through the app had been released into the country on parole with a Notice to Appear. Documents provided by DHS to the committee indicated that this amounted to 266,000 otherwise inadmissible individuals out of more than 278,000 who had scheduled appointments.

“These numbers are proof that Mayorkas’ operation is a smokescreen for the mass release of individuals into this country who would otherwise have zero claim to be admitted,” committee chair Rep. Mark Green (R-Tenn.) said in a statement at the time. The committee also expressed concern about the app’s possible abuse by drug cartels.

By Tom Ozimek

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

Columns

Justice Delayed is Justice Denied, Prosecute Jeffrey Goldberg!

Jeffrey Goldberg reported on his mistaken inclusion in a signal chat as a hit piece on Trump. Should he be prosecuted under the Espionage Act?

Zelensky Has No Feasible Alternative To Accepting Trump’s Lopsided Resource Deal

Trump warned Zelensky he will have “some problems – big, big problems” if he “tries to back out of the rare earth deal” amidst reports agreement is lopsided.

DOGE and Musk Recover Deleted Computer Files

Elon Musk and his “Geek Squad” discovered an entire terabyte of data was deleted from government servers from the office of the “Institute of Peace”.

A Simple Question

What is a woman? Anyone with an IQ above room temperature can answer the question. Everyone, that is, except Democrats.

Democrats Tesla Takedown is a Proven Astro Turf Movement

Elon Musk and other journalistic leaders like Joe Rogan have been asking the critical question, “Who is behind the organization of these Tesla protests?”

News

US Layoffs Top 275,000 in March, Driven by Government Job Cuts: Report

Layoffs announced by U.S.-based employers soared in March to highest level since COVID-19 pandemic, with govt job cuts accounting for most headcount reduction.

Dow Jones Drops 1,500 Points a Day After Trump Tariff Announcement

U.S. stock indexes dropped after Trump's sweeping tariffs of 10 percent or higher, with Dow Jones plunging by 1,500 points at one point in early trading.

7 Takeaways From Trump’s Reciprocal Tariff Roll Out

Trump announced sweeping trade policy changes, introducing what he called “reciprocal tariffs” for all countries and declaring it “Liberation Day in America.”

ACLU Sues Trump Admin Over Canceled Grants Tied to DEI, Gender Identity Research

ACLU, public health orgs, unions, and researchers, filed federal lawsuit accusing NIH of unlawfully canceling research grants due to political and ideological pressure.

US Immigration Services Drops 3rd Gender Option

US immigration services agency officially updated policy to recognize only two biological sexes—male and female—for all immigration-related doc and benefit requests.

Transgender Covenant School Killer Planned Attack for Years, Final Police Report Says

Transgender shooter in mass killing at Christian school in Nashville, TN was an alumnus motivated by a quest for notoriety, final police report concludes.

Supreme Court Reviews South Carolina’s Medicaid Funding Block on Planned Parenthood

U.S. Supreme Court weighed whether South Carolina can stop abortion provider Planned Parenthood from taking part in state’s Medicaid program.

Africa at Crossroads After $13 Billion US Aid Cut, Say Analysts

African countries reacted with shock when the U.S. government recently cut $13 billion in financial assistance.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central