YouTube Reverses Policy on Censoring Claims of Stolen 2020 Election

5Mind. The Meme Platform
The Epoch Times Header

YouTube has announced it’s doing a U-turn on censoring content about U.S. elections, with the platform saying it will no longer delete posts questioning the results of the 2020 presidential election, including claims of widespread voter fraud.

The company made the announcement in a blog post on Friday, which comes about two months after it reinstated former President Donald Trump’s YouTube account.

Trump’s account on YouTube was suspended in the wake of the Jan. 6 Capitol breach, which came as the former president alleged that the 2020 election had been stolen.

YouTube established its “elections misinformation” policy in December 2020, and on Friday said that in the time since it was imposed, the company had removed tens of thousands of videos.

“We carefully deliberated this change,” YouTube said, citing a “changed landscape” in which the 2024 election campaign is in full swing and that removing election-related content could stifle political speech.

“In the current environment, we find that while removing this content does curb some misinformation, it could also have the unintended effect of curtailing political speech without meaningfully reducing the risk of violence or other real-world harm,” the company said.

YouTube pledged that, starting Friday, it will stop removing content that advances claims that “widespread fraud, errors, or glitches occurred in the 2020 and other past US Presidential elections.”

Still, removing content under the elections misinformation policy was just one way in which YouTube has sought to shape political discussions, with other pieces of its content moderation machine remaining intact.

“We are ensuring that when people come to YouTube looking for news and information about elections, they see content from authoritative sources prominently in search and recommendations,” the company said, noting that this is one aspect of its content policy that isn’t changing.

Also remaining unchanged are the broader outlines of YouTube’s election misinformation policy, with the company saying it will continue to remove content that misleads voters about the time, place, means, or eligibility requirements for voting.

YouTube will continue to crack down on “false claims that could materially discourage voting, including those disputing the validity of voting by mail,” as well as on content that calls on people to “interfere with democratic processes.”

A further caveat is that the policy could change as the 2024 election cycle unfolds.

“We’ll remain vigilant as the election unfolds, as we did in 2020, and again in 2022,” YouTube said. “And we have an elections-focused team, including members of our Intelligence Desk, Trust & Safety and product teams, monitoring real-time developments and making adjustments to our strategy as needed.”

YouTube and other social media platforms have been accused of political bias by conservatives and have faced criticism for restricting free speech.

By Tom Ozimek

Read Full Article on TheEpochTimes.com

Contact Your Elected Officials
The Epoch Times
The Epoch Timeshttps://www.theepochtimes.com/
Tired of biased news? The Epoch Times is truthful, factual news that other media outlets don't report. No spin. No agenda. Just honest journalism like it used to be.

‘Radical Right’ Restore Britain: The Remigration Dream Machine?

There is nothing wrong with being white, male, or straight—you are not the problem. The issue lies in systems, not individuals, and flawed DEI policies.

Trump 2.0’s Grand Strategy Against China Is Slowly But Surely Coming Together

Casual observers think Trump acts without strategy, but Trump 2.0 is steadily executing a calculated plan aimed at countering China’s global rise.

From legacy to liability

"When the Washington Post cut a third of its shrinking staff, leaders called it 'strategic restructuring'—like calling an iceberg a 'necessary pivot.'!"

The SCOTUS Trump Tariff Test

There is an old expression that goes "If you're...

SCOTUS Strikes Down Tariffs, Judgment Fund, Citizens Will Pay

Trump tariffs ruled illegal; taxpayers pay twice—higher prices in stores, then again through Judgment Fund payouts for mismanagement.

Secret Service Agents Fatally Shoot Man Trying to Unlawfully Enter Mar-a-Lago

A man was shot and killed by Secret Service agents after allegedly trying to breach a secure perimeter at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago.

Trump Approves DC Emergency Declaration for Potomac Sewage Spill

President Trump approved an emergency declaration for the DC following a massive raw sewage spill into the Potomac River, the FEMA announced.

Student ICE Protests Lead to Lockdowns, Debate Over Discipline in Pennsylvania Schools

A pair of Pennsylvania school districts are the latest to grapple with after effects from student walkouts to protest ICE.

MAHA Proponents React to Trump’s Executive Order on Glyphosate

Invoking the Defense Production Act, Trump signed an EO propelling the domestic production of elemental phosphorus and glyphosate-based herbicides.

DOJ Fires Interim US Attorney Hours After Virginia Court Selects Him

The DOJ announced it fired the interim U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia just hours after judges on the court made the appointment.

Trump Admin Says Courts Need to Act on Tariff Refunds After Supreme Court Ruling

The White House is awaiting court guidance on tariff refunds after the Supreme Court struck down several import levies last week.

Supreme Court Ruling on Tariffs Won’t Change US–China Trade Relations, Analysts

After the Supreme Court ruled Trump’s IEEPA tariffs unlawful, analysts say U.S.-China trade likely won’t change, as other legal levy options remain.

Trump Raises Global Tariff to 15 Percent After Supreme Court Ruling

Trump raised tariffs on all countries to 15% one day after the Supreme Court ruled against the global tariffs his admin imposed last year under the IEEPA.
spot_img

Related Articles

Popular Categories

MAGA Business Central